Bottesford: St Mary

NAME

TYPE

MATERIAL

DATE

William de Roos

Recumbent knight

Alabaster by Thomas Prentys and Robert Sutton

1414

This effigy, now at the south-eastern end of the chancel, was also brought from Belvoir Priory. It represents Sir William wearing the Edwardian camail-jupon type of armour. This is of special interest inasmuch as it shows some interesting points in the transition from semi-mail to the full plate armour of the Lancastrian period.

Moustached, de Roos is depicted wearing a conical bascinet helmet with a jewelled orle round its base. The head is resting on the helm that is complete with the De Roos crest - a peacock in pride. At the front of the bascinet is the inscription IHS NASARE (Jesus of Nazareth), while attached to it is the camail, over which hangs the Lancastrian SS collar, from which depends a fragment of the George and Rose emblem of the Garter.

While he has laminated plate protecting his shoulders and feet he has no protection at the armpits or instep. Over the breastplate is a close-fitting jupon, round which hangs a baldric and sword belt, the scabbard of which carries the device IHS (Jesus). The Order of the Garter is on the left leg. Wearing rowel spurs the effigy's feet rest on a, now headless, animal couchant.

The tomb-chest sides are divided into housings containing angels with out-stretched wings, the outer edges of which are serrated with quill-like projections. They are holding shields and wearing albs and flat caps with their hair brushed up - characteristic of the Chellaston district of Derbyshire, which introduced angel weepers about 1390.

My thanks to Mr Robin Jenkins of the Leicestershire Record Office for bringing attention to the contemporary effigy at Lowick, Northamptonshire, for which the contract of 1415 has survived. The carvers at Lowick were the Chellaston-based Thomas Prentys and Robert Sutton - it is probable, therefore, that they also executed the De Roos effigy.


Sepulchral Effigies of Leicestershire and Rutland
Text copyright 2002 Max Matthews.
Images copyright Bob Trubshaw or Max Matthews 2002.
No copying or reproduction without prior written permission.
Published by Heart of Albion Press