Bottesford: St Mary

NAME

TYPE

MATERIAL

DATE

John, 8th Earl of Rutland and Frances Manners

Classical standing peer and lady

White marble by Grinling Gibbons

1679:1671: Erected in 1686

Costing 100 this monument was constructed by Gabriel Cibber, to the design of Grinling Gibbons, at the same time as that for George.

Depicted in Roman dress, the earl and his countess are separated by a large urn with a skull at the base. On top of the monument are two cherubs that once supported a coronet, now missing, and the arms.

Or, two bars azure, a chief quarterly of the last and gules, in the first and fourth quarters two fleurs-de-lis, and in the second and third a lion passant guardant all or (Manners) impaling Argent, three fusils in fess gules, a border sable surrounded with flowers (Montaguu).

John was the last of the earls, his son John becoming the first Duke of Rutland.

The monument is inscribed:

Here lieth the body of John Manners, 8th earl of Rutland of that name, Lord Roos of Hamlake, Trusbut, and Belvoir, which John was sonne and heir of Sir George Manners, knight, sonne of John Manners esq, second sonn to Thomas, the first Earl of Rutland of that family: he took to wife Frances, daughter to Edward Lord Mountague of Boughton, which Lady Frances his wife deceased the 19 Maii, anno Dom 1671, and also lyeth buried here. By her he had issue four sonns, George, Edward, John and Roger, three of which, George, Edward and Roger died young. John Lord Roos, surviving his father, succeeded him in his honours. He had likewise by her seven daughters, viz. Frances, married to John Earle of Exeter: Grace to Patricius Viscount Chaworth: Dorothy to Anthony Earl of Shaftsbury: Elizabeth to James Lord Annesley: Margaret to James Earl of Salisbury: Anne to Sir Scroope How knight: and Mary who died young. The said Earl departed this life at Haddon, in com. Derb. Sept. XXIX in the 75th year of his age, anno Domini 1679, was burried here with his ancestors on the 24th October following.

John, born at Aylestone near Leicester in 1604, was the eldest son of George Manners of of Haddon and cousin of George, seventh earl. In 1624 and 1630 he was Sheriff for Derbyshire and from 1640-42 MP for that county. In 1628 he married Frances Montagu (died 1671) by whom he had four sons and seven daughters.

In 1642 he succeeded as eighth earl of Rutland. A moderate Parliamentarian, in November 1643 he refused the office of First Commissioner of the Great Seal.

In January 1643 Bevoir Castle was captured by the Royalist army and over the next two years remained in control of those loyal to King Charles, indeed the king slept there on a number of occasions. In February 1646, after a siege that lasted almost three months, the Parliamentarians retook the castle. After the Restoration, the castle was rebuilt. On John's death he was succeeded by his only surviving son, John.


Sepulchral Effigies of Leicestershire and Rutland
Text copyright 2002 Max Matthews.
Images copyright Bob Trubshaw or Max Matthews 2002.
No copying or reproduction without prior written permission.
Published by Heart of Albion Press