logo
 
home page
 
what's new?
 
request updates
please mention Barrowby
 
contact
 

 

Barrowby only
WWW


 

This site sponsored by
 
logo
Heart of Albion

header photo

 

Barrowby's schools

Quite when education was first provided in Barrowby is unknown. Typically until 1833 the vicar (or another member of the clergy) educated the boys of parents wealthy enough to pay a fee. A few of the girls may have attended a private school to learn the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic – but mostly improve their needlework and other 'domestic' skills. If there was ever such a girls's school in Barrowby then so far no records have been discovered.

State education started in 1833 when funds were provided for schools run by parish churches. These was, initially, only a relatively minor change to the teaching of boys in villages, for a fee, by the vicar. However within a few years it was common for a secular schoolmaster to be appointed.

In 1862 education funding became linked to pupils' success at basic tests in reading, writing and arithmetic. Only in 1880 did education become compulsory for children between five and ten.

The 1833 Act was certainly implemented in Barrowby because in the 1842 edition of White's Directory James Taylor was named as the schoolmaster. The land was donated by the sixth Duke of Devonshire. Presumably this school was where the present school is situated. However no trace has survived because in the 1856 edition of White's Directory is a mention of Barrowby's then-new school. 'A handsome school-house was erected in 1852 by the rector and others'. In the 1882 edition it is stated that 'part of the money came from the sale of some old houses'. Additional space for infants was added about 1871. The school was enlarged in 1891 and extended again in 1912.

Between 1855 and 1863 it seems the school was staffed by Charles Goodson, Miss Elizabeth Golding and Miss Goodson. In 1863 Mr and Miss Goodson resigned, while Miss Golding retired. In their places were Mr Croft with Mr and Mrs Ryall. By 1872 John Hubbard was headmaster. He was followed in 1876 by Richard Grandige and his wife, Charlotte.

In 1880 G.F. Potter arrived. And stayed for thirty years, being followed by George Lewis Atkins in 1910.

According to information in the Grantham Journal of 7th June 1856 (summarised by L.R. Cryer 1979 p54–5) the Rev Welby attempted to charge for children of parents who attended the Wesleyan Chapel. This was despite state funding of education since 1833. Little doubt there was plenty of 'friction' between the Establishment and Non-Conformists around this time.


Although details are sparse it seems that some sort of private school was built in the grounds of the Old Hall about 1860.


In recent years about 240 pupils aged four to eleven attend Barrowby Church of England Primary School.


If you think I've got something wrong – or can add additional information or photographs – then please email me:– bobtrubs@indigogroup.co.uk.


Back to top of this page


 

This website does not gather or store any visitor information.

Copyright Bob Trubshaw 2021

No unauthorised copying or reproduction except if all following conditions apply:
a: Copy is complete (including this copyright statement).
b: No changes are made.
c: No charge is made.

www.hoap.co.uk/barrowby


what's new?


Articles about Barrowby

Barrowby's location and geology

summary of prehistoric Barrowby

summary of Roman Barrowby

Anglo-Saxons

Medieval

Seventeenth and eighteenth centuries

Nineteenth century

nineteenth and twentieth century population

Twentieth century

there's more could be said...

bibliography

index of surnames in Cryer 1979


Articles and web links for nearby places

rare seventeenth fonts at Muston, Bottesford and Orston from Project Gargoyle Newsletter 2020

Ironstone quarries of Leicestershire
YouTube video

Wyville's wells

Harston's Anglo-Saxon carvings

Bottesford's effigies

Grantham Canal Society

The Grantham Canal
All you need to know – and more – from Wikipedia

Croxton Kerrial manor house excavations
photos and brief details from Leicester Mercury.
By 2021 the remains had been consolidated and there are annual open days.

Bottesford History Group