WHO home page
oldest WHO news
next oldest WHO news
barely old at all WHO news
WHO archive catalogue
the WHO's 'virtual museum'
YouTube videos about Wolds history
Local history articles
Burton on the Wolds
Walton on the Wolds
Willoughby on the Wolds
Walton on the Wolds records
early C17th Wymeswold constable's accounts
Wymeswold census returns 1841 to 1901
Wymeswold parish registers 1560 onwards
Wymeswold marriage registers 1560 to 1916
Wymeswold Village Design Statement 2002
WHO publications available as free PDFs
The Wolds Historian 2004–2008
2000 Years of the Wolds
A walk Around Wymeswold
Wymeswold fieldwalking report 1993
In addition the WHO has digitised versions of:
Email email@example.com to discuss access to these (e.g. via memory stick or ZIP file).
- George Farnham's unpublished MS of notes about Wymeswold medieval history (akin to a 1920s update of Nichols)
- Enclosure Award and later maps plus assorted terriers held in the archive of Trinity College Cambridge
- Marshall Brown's pharmaceutical journal 1869
- Wymeswold school log books 1875–1982
- Wymeswold Parochial Charities minutes 1880–1930
- photographs taken by Philip Brown between 1890s and 1930s
- Sidney Pell Potter's A History of Wymeswold 1915
- Lily Brown's diary 1916
- Church Council Minute Book for St Mary's, Wymeswold 1932–1955
- WI survey of Wymeswold gravestones (St Mary's; Baptist chapel; Methodist chapel; 'The Quakers') 1981–2
- Rempstone Steam Fair programme 1983
This website does not gather or store any visitor information.
Broughton Lodge Anglo-Saxon cemetery excavations
In August 2022 the WHO were given thirty black and white photographs of the 1964–8 archaeological excavations at Broughton Lodge. They were seemingly taken by Rex Satterthwaite.
The photographs show excavated human skeletons prior to being lifted, cobbled surfaces (presumably parts of the Roman Fosse Way), several excavators at work, and various visitors, some presumably members of the Satterthwaite family.
Several images are 'general views' of the area being excavated. In the background several buildings can be discerned, including a café and the sign for a petrol station (see above). Most of these have since been demolished. The site of the excavation became the western approach road to the bridge over the A46. The farm yard became the kart race track and a motel was built to the south.
Several of the Anglo-Saxon burials were placed on or just in the surface of the Roman road.
Malcolm Dean, the excavation director, is second from left.
More details of this cemetery in a YouTube video.
WHO home page