WHO logo

WHO home page



WHO pages only
All the Web


This year's programme of WHO lectures


Local history articles

Burton on the Wolds

Cotes

Hoton

Prestwold

Six Hills

Walton on the Wolds

Willoughby on the Wolds

Wymeswold

Wymeswold Airfield


Walton on the Wolds records

early C17th Wymeswold constable's accounts

Wymeswold census returns 1841 to 1901

Wymeswold parish registers 1560 onwards

Wymeswold marriage registers 1560 to 1916

Wymeswold Village Design Statement 2002


WHO archive catalogue

the WHO's 'virtual museum'


WHO publications available as free PDFs

The Wolds Historian 2004–2008

2000 Years of the Wolds

A walk Around Wymeswold

Wymeswold fieldwalking report 1993


In addition the WHO has digitised versions of:

  • Marshall Brown's pharmaceutical journal 1869
  • Wymeswold school log books 1875–1982
  • Wymeswold Parochial Charities minutes 1880–1930
  • Lily Brown's diary 1916
  • Church Council Minute Book for St Mary's, Wymeswold 1932–1955
Email bobtrubs@indigogroup.co.uk to discuss access to these.


This website does not gather or store any visitor information.


Back Lane, Hoton

John Finch Simpson JP and Edwyn Andrew Burnaby JP, at a Special Sessions held at the house of Charles James Packe at Prestwold on 21st August 1822 'having on a view found a certain Highway or lane called Back Lane, between a pool of water contiguous to a farmyard and the public road, running from Hoton to Wymeswold for a length of 226 yards is useless and unnecessary, hereby order the said useless and unnecessary highway or lane of 226 yards and breadth 20 feet upon a medium be stopped up'.

A notice dated 5th September 1822 was put on the church door and at the end of the lane.

We are indebted to the late Pat White of Loughborough for the above contribution. Pat added that she believed the tenant of the farm was named Linaker.

Originally published in The Wolds Historian No.1 2004

Copyright the author

Next article

WHO home page