WHO logo

WHO home page



WHO pages only
All the Web


This year's programme of WHO lectures


Local history articles

Burton on the Wolds

Cotes

Hoton

Prestwold

Six Hills

Walton on the Wolds

Willoughby on the Wolds

Wymeswold

Wymeswold Airfield


Walton on the Wolds records

early C17th Wymeswold constable's accounts

Wymeswold census returns 1841 to 1901

Wymeswold parish registers 1560 onwards

Wymeswold marriage registers 1560 to 1916

Wymeswold Village Design Statement 2002


WHO archive catalogue

the WHO's 'virtual museum'


WHO publications available as free PDFs

The Wolds Historian 2004–2008

2000 Years of the Wolds

A walk Around Wymeswold

Wymeswold fieldwalking report 1993


In addition the WHO has digitised versions of:

  • George Farnham's unpublished MS of notes about Wymeswold medieval history (akin to a 1920s update of Nichols)
  • Enclosure Award and later maps plus assorted terriers held in the archive of Trinity College Cambridge
  • Marshall Brown's pharmaceutical journal 1869
  • Wymeswold school log books 1875–1982
  • Wymeswold Parochial Charities minutes 1880–1930
  • Lily Brown's diary 1916
  • Church Council Minute Book for St Mary's, Wymeswold 1932–1955
Email bobtrubs@indigogroup.co.uk to discuss access to these.


This website does not gather or store any visitor information.


Bill McBean's working 1930's Bedford WS van

Picture of Bill McBean's Van

DOH 206 stands outside the converted Georgian stable
block belonging to Wymeswold Country Furniture awaiting her next delivery.

DELIVERING IN STYLE

hen Bill McBean and his wife Jenny decided to buy a van to deliver the restored antique pine furniture they sell at their shop at 17 Far Street in the pretty Leicestershire village of Wymeswold, thoughts of acquiring a modern vehicle were immediately dismissed.
Bill and Jenny wanted some-thing special... something with style and character, and something that reflected the quality and craftsmanship of the lovely old furniture they sell in their converted Georgian stable block.
Scanning the 'for sale' pages of vintage vehicle magazines, they came across what looked to be the ideal vehicle for their needs – a 1930s Bedford WS van with a 27bhp six-cylinder petrol engine. After travelling to Warwickshire to have a look at the vehicle, a deal was struck and DOH 206 was driven back to its new home.
After receiving a coat of smart green paint, she was sign-written by hand in traditional style and Bill and Jenny's distinctive delivery van soon became a familiar sight around the roads of Leicestershire.
DOH 206 began life with Davenport's Brewery, having been supplied to them as a cab and chassis in 1936 when it was fitted with a purpose-built body frame and canvas tilt specially designed for those familiar 'beer at home' deliveries. During the war the vehicle was requisitioned by the Ministry of Defence and converted into a flat bed. She was sold to Mr Hatton, a market gardener in the Derbyshire town of Melbourne, who used her as a truck to ferry produce to and from local markets. She later saw service with two other market gardeners before being laid up in a field and left to the mercy of the elements. It could easily have been the end of the road for this faithful old workhorse.
Her fortunes were soon to change, however, when she was entered into an auction at Measham, along with several other old vans and lorries, from where she was purchased by a Warwickshire-based vehicle enthusiast who fitted the current box van body and rallied her briefly at steam and vintage shows. The van passed to her current owners in 1992 and has served them loyally ever since.
Apart from the fitting of a new set of tyres and tubes and a replacement water pump, plus a bit of work on the steering pinions, the van has encountered few mechanical problems over the past nine years and long may she continue to make deliveries with style!

Owner Bill McBean

Owner' Bill McBean stands alongside the reliable work-horse in which he has made deliveries with style for the past nine years.

  Brian Howe

We are grateful to Brian Howes, 819 Hucknall Road, Nottingham for permission to reproduce his original article and colour photographs that were published in "Best of British" magazine issued December 2001.

Next Article

Back to List of Articles