WHO logo

WHO home page

This year's programme of WHO lectures

Download back issues of The Wolds Historian

Local history articles


Burton on the Wolds




Six Hills

Wymeswold census returns 1841 to 1901

Wymeswold parish registers 1560 onwards

Wymeswold marriage registers 1560 to 1916

WHO archive catalogue

WHO pages only
All the Web


Thre have been three windmills in Wymeswold during the last 250 years. The longest surviving windmill stood on the east side of Wysall Lane (OS Grid ref 6065 2410) and was mentioned in the Enclosure Award of 1759 thus:

"To John Morris is alloted one piece of land in Thorpe Field about the windmilkl belonging to the said John Morris and surrounded by lands alloted to William Thompson containing 25 perches." This was being worked by WIlliam Ford and his son John according to the 1851 censsu. Between 1890 and 1916 Joseph Handy was the miller. It was demolished in 1950.

Wysall Lane windmill

Wysall Lane windmill; date unknown.

A second windmill stood clsoe to the present Mill Cottage on Wysall Lane (OS Grid ref 6048 2420) and it belonged to the lords of the manor (Messrs Davys and Allsop) and the land surrounding it was alloted to them by the Enclosure Award.

On Burton Road a third windmill appears on the 1836 OS map approximately opposite the present entrance to the industrial estate (OS Grid ref 6970 2205). It was for sale in 1844 and shown again on the 1883 map.

Originally published in A Portrait of Wymeswold 1991.

Copyright Wolds Historical Organisation.

Next article

Wymeswold local history articles