WHO logo

WHO home page


This year's programme of WHO lectures


Download back issues of The Wolds Historian


Local history articles

Wymeswold

Burton on the Wolds

Hoton

Prestwold

Cotes

Six Hills

NEW Walton on the Wolds


Wymeswold census returns 1841 to 1901

Wymeswold parish registers 1560 onwards

Wymeswold marriage registers 1560 to 1916


WHO archive catalogue



WHO pages only
All the Web


This website does not gather or store any visitor information.

Education in Wymeswold

Records of the early education in Wymeswold relate to teachers not to schools. In 1575 the parish clerk, William Nelson, was also a schoolmaster. The parish register records the baptism in 1612 of Ann, daughter of John Darcie, schoolmaster. He had no diocesan registration.

A town school, the building of which is not recorded, existed in the north-east of the churchyard until it was demolished in 1835.

On the land at the corner of Wysall Lane stood the Ballard mansion which was later subdivided and purchased by William Thompson who then sold it for parish lands and houses in 1782. This was handed over to trustees for an infant's school which was erected on the site in 1838.

Ballard's cottages

Ballard's cottages from an undated illustration of before 1838.

An endowed, free parish school was erected in 1846 in Brook Street, by the trustees towns and Thompson's charity.

In 1845, at the instigation of Rev Henry Alford, land was purchased opposite the church for the erection of a national school. This is now a house.

This was replaced by the characteristic school building, now a house, near the church. The present primary school in The Nook off Brook Street was built in 19***.

The 20th century primary school in 1987

The 20th century primary school in 1987 before conversion to a house.

There were other schools, mainly small and private, in the 18th and 19th centuries e.g. Miss Mason's at Lower Fields, the Misses Potter at The Hermitage and a British school. Thomas Russell Potter and the Rev Alford were both responsible for higher education. Most interesting school how was however, that run by Jenny Hickling.

Jenny was born in 1747, one of three children whose parents rented a farm in Far Street. At the age of 13 she developed a palsy and, although she made a partial recovery, was confined to bed. She managed to teach 30 children to read, sew and mark. She managed the children with kindness but, if children misbehaved, they were pinned to the bedclothes with their backs to her. In addition to teaching, she made garments and helped with the brother's and sister's children. She died in 1822 and was buried in the Baptist churchyard.

Joseph Thompson, a Quaker, who died in 1733, left a will which states: "I given and bequeath unto the feoffees of the town of Wimeswould aforesaid for the time being the sum of 100 to be paid within 12 months next after my decease and it is my mind and will that as soon as the dais feoffees have received the said sum of 100 that they put the same out to interest and the interest arising from the said sum of 100 shall be applyed for and towards the education of ten poor boys to be taught to read, write and cast accounts in the town school of Wimeswould, aforesaid."

The inscribed stone commemorating Thompson's bequest

The inscribed stone commemorating Thompson's bequest, now on the wall of the present school.

Ten acres of land were purchase at Burton with the legacy, the rents providing the income. A plaque record this was first erected on the parish school but it now stands in front of the present primary school.

The school log books from the last century make interesting reading. They show that holidays were granted for Ascension Day, for Sunday School treats and for the Loughborough flower show. On several occasions the teacher reported low attendance. In 1889 children went absent to help in the hay fields. In May 1890 some children could not attended as the parents could not afford the fees. On February 24th 1879 the school was closed because of snow and in December 1900 because "children have gone after the hounds" (the Quorn met at Wymeswold).

The strangest record of absence occurred in 1896. "The coltsfoot season is causing a good deal of irregular attendance. Wine is made from coltsfoot flowers. A peck of flowers is worth 8d. A boy can gather a peck in an afternoon."

An entry on June 23rd 1897 records that "the children are drowsy and tired following the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Several boys went to sleep."

Prices were awarded for needlework in 1886 to Kate Allen, Arthur Bates and Louisa Hubbard, and in 1887 to John Brain and Grace Lamb. Text cards were awarded in 1887 to Kate Allen, Arhtur Brooks, Annie Clarke, Elizabeth and John Hubbard, Mary and Thomas Pepper and Sarah Ann Wye for religious knowledge.

Originally published in A Portrait of Wymeswold 1991.

Copyright Wolds Historical Organisation.


UPDATE

St Mary's Wymeswold Church Council Minute Book
and Wymeswold school log books

The Church Council Minute Book for St Mary's, Wymeswold, covering 1932 to 1955 forms part of the archive, although it is in a rather fragile condition. This has now been digitised. There are too many files to make this available online but they can be copied to a memory stick or such like if anyone wants to read through. Note that the handwriting is often rather 'cramped'. If anyone is willing to read through and index the main topics this will be most helpful. From a quick skim through it seems there's plenty of information on the church restoration of the 1950s.

The school log books for Wymeswold school covering the period from 1875 to 1982 are now in the Record Office for Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland. But before they were handed over they too were digitised. Again they can be copied to a memory stick or similar if anyone thinks they have relatives at the school during this period. These log books were helpful to Ivor Perry when researching Bringing Them Home as they revealed both the good and bad sides of the village 'lads'.

If you would like to have copies of any or all of these then email Bob Trubshaw. Note: please supply your own memory stick or SD card! The church minute book is under 1 gigabyte and all four school log books are just over 2 gigabytes.


more Wymeswold local history articles