Local history articles
WHO publications available as free PDFs
In addition the WHO has digitised versions of:
This website does not gather or store any visitor information.
Six Hills then and now
There are no hills at Six Hills – it is near the centre of a plateau about 350 feet above sea level. The name is a corruption of 'Seggs Hill', perhaps derived form the Anglo-Saxon personal names Segga or Secca (see Bob Trubshaw's article in the 2000 WHO Newsletter).
At Six Hills the Roman Fosse Way crosses a minor Roman road running from the ironstone ridge above Long Clawson down to the River Soar at Barrow. The site was probably the meeting place for the Anglo-Saxon administrative 'moots'. The Roman roads remained in use for many centuries as drovers' roads, as is confirmed by the original name of the inn there – The Durham Ox – which is frequently associated with drovers' resting places.
click here for plan of Six Hills was drawn in 1876.
The Durham Ox Inn depicted in the frontispiece to Leicestershire and its Hunts by Charles Simpson (published by John Lane in 1926).
Six Hills in the late 1940s. Photograph by Mr F. Lumbers from Leicestershire by Guy Paget and Lionel Irvine, published Robert Hale 1950.
The A46 was widened to a dual carriageway in 1964. The Durham Ox changed its name to the Six Hills Hotel in 1950. The building was extended in 1954, 1964 and again about 1990.
The Six Hills Hotel in September 2002. Photograph by Bob Trubshaw.
Originally published in the 2000 Years of the Wolds 2003.
Copyright the author