WHO logo

WHO home page


This year's programme of WHO lectures


Download back issues of The Wolds Historian


Local history articles

Wymeswold

Burton on the Wolds

Hoton

Prestwold

Cotes

Six Hills


Wymeswold census returns 1841 to 1901

Wymeswold parish registers 1560 onwards

Wymeswold marriage registers 1560 to 1916



WHO pages only
All the Web


The WHO's virtual museum

Stored in various locations are a number of historic artefacts associated with Wymeswold. Full details can be seen in the WHO archive catalogue. This web page simply has the photographs and brief description.


Ensign Optiscope No.6 electrical projector for 3 inch glass slides with original case.

Used by Philip Brown to show glass 'lantern slides' taken between the 1890s and 1930s.
Donated by members of the Brown family.


Death medal for Herbert Isaac Orridge

Born October 1899, died 15 August 1918.

Details of Issac Orridge's life, military service and death can be found in Ivor Perry's Bringing Then Home: The story of the lost sons of Wymeswold chapter 20 (published by Wolds Historical Organisation 2014).

On loan from members of Orridge's family.


Glass bottles

Excavated from a garden in The Stockwell in the late 1980s and 1990s.

Donated by Geraldine Cartwright.


Metal gas light on bracket

Installed in the bell-ringing chamber of St Mary's church tower

Presumably dates from after the creation of the 'Wimeswold Gaslight and Coke Company' in 1881; this gasworks was short-lived and had ceased to operate by the end of the 1880s.

Donated by Bill McBean.


Roman pottery sherds

Early medieval pottery sherds

Late medieval pottery sherds

Fifteenth and sixteenth century pottery sherds

Collected from various fields in the western half of Wymeswold parish while fieldwalking between 1988 and 1990.

Donated by the landowners.


six horseshoes and one pony or ox shoe

Collected from various fields in the western half of Wymeswold parish while fieldwalking between 1988 and 1990.

Donated by various landowners.


Copy of 'The Pearl Reference Bible' published by The London Bible Warehouse. Presented to Ernest Smith in February 1904 by the Hoton Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School

Donated by Margaret Stacey.

Ernest Smith was baptised at Hoton 1st October 1892 and buried there 1st February 1963.


All photographs by Bob Trubshaw.


WHO home page