In the centre of the chancel is the effigy of Henry, eldest son of
Thomas. He is depicted in plate armour wearing a George Collar which
chains fall nearly down to the thighs.
The head, wearing a coronet, rests on a crested helm. A sword is in the left hand, while by
the right hand, which is holding a
book, is a dagger. There are rings on the right and left third and fore fingers.
On the left leg is the Order of the Garter, while the feet are supported by a
Lady Magaret, who is depicted wearing a lace cap and coronet, has her feet supported
by a lion guardent. Holding a book in her hands, she is wearing a robe with long hanging sleeves,
a ruff and a dress with the collar open and turned back.
Over the effigies, supported by baluster legs, is what may represent the
communion table of the day. The Lumley inventory of 1590 shows a drawing of a contemporary table with legs
very similar to those on this monument. By order of King Henry VIII, all stone altars had to be destroyed and portable wooden ones
used in their place.
On the accession of Mary, Henry had been imprisoned for a short time on account of his extreme Protestant views and it is possible that the books depicted on the carved table may also be symbolic of the reformed faith. Over the flat canopy is a double display of arms and the couple's three children:
the eldest son Edward, in armour, kneels before a prie dieu with his sister, Elizabeth, by his
side. In front, also kneeling at a prie dieu and wearing ecclesiastical costume, is John, who
became the rector of Helmsley.
The two achievement of arms, surrounded by the motto of the Order of the Garter (Honi soit
qui mal y pense) and surmounted by a coronet, are Qly.
1. Gules, a saltire argent (Nevill)
2. Gules fretty (?)
3. Gules, three lions passant guardant (?)
4. Argent, fretty gules, on a canton argent a ship sable (Nevill).
On the other side are
1. Manners quartering Roos
2. Argent three catherine wheels gules (Espec)
3. One catherine wheel (Todenei)
4. An eagle displayed (Albini)
5. Two chevronels, Badlesmere, Holland,
Tiptoft, Vaux and Powis.
The inscription round the bevel of the canopy of this Italianate monument, which carries a
typical Southwark school gadroning pattern, reads:
Here lieth Henry Maners, earle of Rutland and Margaret his wife, daughter to Radulphe, earle
of Westmerland, whiche earle of Rutland died being lord president of Her Majesties Counsayle
in the Northe the seventeenth day of September 1563.
Henry, the eldest son of Thomas, first Earl of Rutland, was born about 1515.
Knighted by Henry VIII in 1544, Henry was present at the coronation of Edward VI.
On Mary's accession he was briefly held in the Fleet Prison owing to his support of Lady Jane Grey.
He was, however, soon released and in 1556 promoted to admiral. He held many offices including
the wardenship of the Scots Marches - in which capacity he sacked the town of Haddington in 1549.
He was the Captain General of the Cavalry at the Siege of St Quentin in 1557,
the year that Queen Elizabeth made him Lord
Lieutenant of Nottinghamshire and Rutland, as well as investing him with the Order of the Garter.
He was able to complete his father's work of restoring Belvoir Castle
just before he died in 1563.